My photo
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Elected as a Member of the British Columbia Legislative Assembly for the Constituency of Saanich South on May 12, 2009. New Democratic Opposition Critic for the Ministry of Agriculture and Lands. Raised on Quadra Island and has an undergraduate degree from the University of British Columbia. Extensive track record as a community leader, advocate and environmental activist.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Date with the CRD.

I have received the date that I am able to present my case. I have approximatley 5 minutes to speak in front of the Solid Waste Advisory Committee (SWAC) on December 13th. I have received many letters of support and I am excited about that. But, I could always use more.
I will be requesting a total ban on plastic grocery bags, with a second request trailing behind. My second request will be, that if the CRD in unprepared to grant my first request, they consider a total education campaign about reusable bags. This education campaign would be loaded with the facts about the damage plastic bags do to our environment. It would explain the waste factor. Basically education would drive a voluntary ban. This would be money well spent!
Even if they decide that my first request is reasonable, education would have to accompany it.
I am excited to speak with them!