My photo
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Elected as a Member of the British Columbia Legislative Assembly for the Constituency of Saanich South on May 12, 2009. New Democratic Opposition Critic for the Ministry of Agriculture and Lands. Raised on Quadra Island and has an undergraduate degree from the University of British Columbia. Extensive track record as a community leader, advocate and environmental activist.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A great morning with CFAX 1070!

I had a very good time with Joe Easingwood at CFAX this morning. I was able to get this cause a little more attention. I think the callers were overall very supportive of lessening the use of plastic bags but some may not have been so keen on a complete ban. I think it was 50/50. I hope I can go back again and have Part 2 of the bag issue. I failed to mention all the destruction that plastic bags do to wildlife and sea life. So I will ask for another opportunity. Joe Easingwood was a wonderful host and I thank him for the opportunity.

In the meantime, I am gathering as many regional stories as I can on local environmental problems caused by these bags. My friend Ian Graeme, who is part of the Bowker Creek Society, mentioned that they often find plastic bags in the creek and pull them out. He is going to send pictures.

So what happen after these millions of bags fail to return to a recycling depot or fail to be used as a garbage bags ending up at the dump? It is a very sad fact that many of these bags find themselves floating in our oceans. The story gets even more sad. Whales, fish, sea turtles, sea birds, and many other creatures think that these floating bags look like food. Specifically Jelly Fish. They ingest these bags and then suffer. I have read countless examples of plastic being found in the stomachs of deceased sea life. One story described a whale being found with 400kgs of plastic in its stomach.

The stories could go on and on. But I think you probably get the picture.

So is this a good enough reason to get rid of these bags?

Calling it a day,

Lana Popham